Dear Parent or Guardian of Hopkins Middle School Students:
We recognize that cell phones are big part of our daily lives and provide convenience to each of us. However in the school setting, we have found cell phones to cause disruptions, distractions, interruptions, and in some instances a way to share illegal or explicit information.
The text messaging takes away from the instructional time and more importantly student learning. As an Administration, we realize that cell phones can be a useful tool; however, they can be a detriment in the event of a school emergency and our safeguards and procedures for handling emergencies in a safe and efficient manner.
Parents we are strongly requesting that you use the school phone number of (803) 695-3331 to get any urgent messages to your student.
Please note no student will be allowed to be in possession or use a cell phone during the hours of 8:00 a.m. to 4:10 p.m.
Cell phones must be off and secured in the students assigned locker.
If a student is found to be in possession or use of a cell phone, the phone will be confiscated, placed in a labeled envelope, and delivered to the office.
The consequences are as follows for confiscated cell phones:
- Cell phone held in office until the end of the day.
- Student will sign for the cell phone at the end of the day.
- Cell phone held in office until the end of the next school day.
- A parent or guardian will sign for the cell phone between 2:30 – 3:15 p.m.
- Cell phone will be held in the office for three (3) days.
- A parent or guardian will sign for the cell phone after a meeting with the student and principal. The student will be subject to a one (1) day in-school suspension.
Additional offenses will be considered a Level II – Intermediate Offense (2.02 Defiance of a district employee’s authority) as outlined on page 16 of the Richland One Student Code of Conduct.