Parent Information About Moving To Phase II
Parent Information About Moving To Phase II
Our W.J. Keenan High School family has done an excellent job during Phase I of our COVID-19 plan, delivering instruction and learning in a virtual environment. We are now making preparations for Phase II of our reopening plan. During Phase II, students will be separated in two groups. Students will attend school face to face on two days during the week, while continue learning virtually the other three days.
In order to keep our school safe and ensure all students the best opportunity to learn under these conditions, the following processes and procedures will be in place:
Arrival / Departure
- Arrival time for students will be 7:45 a.m. Your child is late as of 8:00 a.m. and will be required to sign in through our attendance office by a parent or guardian.
- Once arriving, all students will report directly to their 1st block classroom. Students eating breakfast will be allowed to pick up a grab-and-go breakfast and report immediately to their 1st block classroom to eat.
- Dismissal is at 3:15 p.m. for students. Upon dismissal, students are asked to depart campus immediately via the bus, personal vehicle or walking.
- Your child must wear a MASK every day. THIS IS A NON-NEGOTIABLE. If he or she cannot wear a mask, we will provide a face shield to be worn on campus. If your child refuses to keep his or her mask on, you will be contacted to pick him or her up immediately. This precaution will be highly enforced to ensure the safety of all staff and students.
- Social distancing at an interval of at least six feet is an expectation while students are on campus.
- We encourage parents to do self-checks for temperatures and other illnesses before sending your child to school.
- If your child has been exposed to COVID-19 or has a positive result, he or she cannot attend school. Please follow all of the CDC guidelines to quarantine. Our COVID-19 school contact is Nurse Mitchell and she can be reached at 803-714-2536 or email@example.com. She will organize how your child will continue to receive his or her work, help with attendance, and answer any of your questions.
- Quarantine procedures will be explained to parents on a case-by-case basis if it is determined your child has been exposed to a suspected/confirmed COVID-19 case through close contact.
Classroom and Lunch Structures and Formats
- Students assigned to Cohort Blue will meet on campus each week on Monday-Tuesday; students assigned to Cohort Gold will meet on campus each Thursday and Friday.
- Wednesdays will continue to be Raider Time where all students will attend class virtually and have the opportunity to re-do assignments if needed, make up work, re-enforce previous work, and get additional support from their teachers. Attendance will be taken.
- Plans for teaching and learning will be communicated to parents weekly.
- Students must bring their device to school daily, as it will serve as a primary learning tool. Please charge devices the night before as chargers and other supplies cannot be shared with others.
- Students will be allowed to eat breakfast (served until 7:50 a.m.) and lunch in various areas of the building. Eating locations will be identified to allow students to practice social distancing during this time.
- Please make sure you go into the Parent Portal and ensure your settings are such that you receive calls, emails and texts from the school via SchoolMessenger, and ensure that your contact information is updated.
Cohort Assignments for Hybrid Phase of Instruction
- Your student’s cohort is COHORT GOLD. (Cohorts were assigned based on the need to keep siblings in feeder schools attending face-to-face instruction on the same day.)
Students in Cohort Blue will attend school face- to- face on Monday and Tuesday. Cohort Blue students will log online via Microsoft Teams and continue with instruction virtually Wednesday, Thursday and Friday.
Students in Cohort Gold will attend school Thursday and Friday. On Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday Cohort Gold students will log online via Microsoft Teams and continue with instruction virtually.
- Students will follow their regular schedule and attend classes based on our regular bell schedule which is attached to this letter.
As a team, we are truly excited about what the future holds for W.J. Keenan High School. Our intention is to work with parents, students, and community stakeholders to provide a safe learning environment, while establishing a culture of greatness and a winning mindset in all areas. If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact us at 803-714-2500.
We are W.J. Keenan High School, Home of the Champion Raiders!
Mr. Vondré T. Whaley
W.J. Keenan High School