A Message from the Principal
Dreher High School is built on a proud tradition of excellence in academics, arts, athletics, and activities. High expectations have established Dreher as a leader in standardized measures such as the graduation rate, End-of-Course pass rate, Advanced Placement (AP) pass rate, and National Merit competition honors. According to U.S. News and World Report in 2018 Dreher High School was among the thirteen best schools in South Carolina and once again was awarded a Silver Medal by the publication.
Selected three years ago by the College Board to be one of the first schools in the state to award the AP Capstone Diploma, Dreher currently offers twenty-three AP courses and will administer 850 AP tests this coming May. Two hundred students are preparing for college and a career by taking one or more of our engineering courses in Project Lead the Way. Other programs of choice include language classes in Chinese, Latin, and German.
For eight decades Dreher has partnered with parents to provide a learning environment richly infused with opportunities to develop scholarship, leadership, and creativity through a rigorous curriculum, fine arts, sports and extracurricular activites. This year Dreher entered a new phase in our history as the District and school families worked together with our neighborhood and city officials to plan for new competition tennis courts and fields on the Dreher campus. Our sincere gratitude is expressed to all who agreed to promote excellence in athletics.
Dreher is truly a great place to learn where all students have the chance to be successful. Let's continue to look toward a bright future.
The mission of Dreher High School mirrors that of Richland County School District One: We are Dreher High School, a leader in transforming through education, empowering all students to achieve their potential and dreams.
Our vision is that Dreher High School, by maintaining a safe, caring environment and providing a rigorous education, will prepare every student to be a successful, contributing citizen in a global society.
Dreher believes that:
- Rigorous education in academics, the arts, athletics, and service is the core of a vibrant community.
- Embracing diversity enriches a community.
- Individuals learn in different ways.
- Individual learning is a result of opportunity, a healthy lifestyle, and effort.
- Personal responsibility and accountability are essential for a successful community.
- Character matters; honesty, integrity, service and mutual respect are vital.
- Students, teachers, staff, families, and community members are stakeholders in education.
- A safe and supportive environment is essential to the growth and success of all individuals.
- The services that Dreher High School provides contribute to a holistic approach to learning.