Message from the Principal on November 30, 2020
Good Afternoon Blue Devils Parents,
I hope this message finds you well rested and rejuvenated after a wonderful Thanksgiving break. I hope you all had an opportunity to spend some quality time with family and friends. Here are a couple of updates/reminders for this week:
- FOR PARENTS OF JUNIORS (3rd year students): This is a reminder that the South Carolina Department of Education is providing the opportunity for every student in the third year of high school to take either the ACT or the SAT one time at no cost on a regular school day. Dreher has mailed a designation sheet to parents of students in the third year of high school on which parents can specify which test (either the ACT or SAT, or neither) they would like their student to take via this opportunity. Please remember that this form must be received in the Dreher counseling office no later than this Friday, December 4. If the form is not received in the office by the deadline, the student will not be tested with either assessment. The ACT is currently scheduled for February 23, and the SAT is currently scheduled for March 3. Both tests will include the writing/essay section. Here is a copy of the form: (Attachment).
- As of right now, our Coming Home Celebration is scheduled for Friday, December 11th. We hope to hold a live-streamed pep rally with our seniors during fourth block on this day and there will be additional Coming Home activities that evening at our girls and boys varsity basketball games versus Columbia High School.
- We will begin winter Math and Reading screenings for all of our 9th graders (and other select students) on December 1st. The screenings will be conducted via STAR Math and Reading and will assist us in determining academic growth since the beginning of the year screenings in August.
- Wednesday, December 2nd, will be structured as a half-day. This was initially scheduled for Friday (for teacher professional development), but to avoid reducing face-to-face time for our Cohort 2 students, those activities will be moved to Wednesday (which is always an abbreviated flex day). The schedule is as follows and will be communicated with students as well.
- 1st Block – 9:00
- 2nd Block – 9:40
- 3rd Block – 10:20
- 4th Block – 11:00
- For the sake of transparency, our COVID-related incidents/situations from last week were: 8 positive students, 23 quarantined students, 1 positive employee, and 7 quarantined employees. Please note that contact tracing and notification letters/announcements were completed/distributed as needed. Dreher is following ALL recommended safety protocols as outlined by CDC, SCDHEC, SCHSL, and RCSD1.
Thank you and have a great week,
Kevin J. Hasinger, Ed.S.