Important Message from Mr. Hasinger to our Dreher Families - October 10, 2020
Good Afternoon Blue Devil Parents,
I hope you all are doing well on this rainy Saturday afternoon. I am writing to attempt to clarify the actions of Richland County School District One over the past 72 hours. I want to make that all of our parents understand what the next steps are in our “opt-in version” of the phased-in model – parents deserve to be able make clearly informed decisions. Therefore, I am going to try to simplify this process for everyone through scenarios:
- If you would like your child to continue in eLearning (virtual) until the COVID infection rate in Richland County is lower, you do not need to do anything. Your child will automatically continue in this mode until you see fit for them to return. When COVD rates improve and you feel more comfortable with your child returning to school in Hybrid mode, you will be given that opportunity. (5 days of eLearning instruction in almost all cases from the same instructors)
- If you would like your child to begin Hybrid mode at this time, then you will need to “opt-in” to this face-to-face instruction by completing this link NO LATER THAN October 14th: https://tinyurl.com/yxefbjuf
- Once this data is received by the school, we will provide you with a cohort assignment (M/T or Th/F). (2 days of face-to-face and 3 days of eLearning instruction in almost all cases from the same instructors)
- If you signed your child up for the Virtual School (all-year virtual) model and wish for him/her to stay in that model, you do not need to do anything.
- Please note that we do not expect any changes in instructors due to this shift. If any changes were needed, we would immediately reach out to the parents/students and inform them prior to a final decision being made.
Why this shift in approach? In the first 48 hours of announcing that Richland One was moving on to Phase 2, the entire district (to include Dreher High School) was overwhelmed with requests/applications to move to an all-virtual or continued eLearning mode. In short, in just two days the district enrollment shifted form most students being enrolled in the phased-in model, to most desiring virtual/eLearning.
To clarify, if you choose to “do nothing” and allow your child to continue in eLearning/virtual at this time, you will still have the opportunity for them to enter Hybrid when your family is more comfortable with this COVID infections rates in Richland County.
I hope this helps. Please do not hesitate to ask me questions if you need additional information.
A quick note to senior parents – senior portraits will be taken on October 30th by appointment. The link to sign-up for appointments will be shared sometime soon by Mr. Seal, our Yearbook coordinator. A make-up day has been scheduled for November 6th.
Thanks and have a peaceful weekend,
Kevin J. Hasinger, Ed.S.