Information for parents/guardians about the Hybrid Model from Mr. Thorpe
First, we would like to thank each of you for stepping in and doing everything in your power to create a positive virtual learning environment for your child. We have collectively worked to serve you and your child in the safest way possible. We started our school year off with eLearning and along the way we have experienced many positives and some not so positive experiences. Nevertheless, we are ready for phase 2, face to face instruction. Our ultimate goal is to keep our students safe! It’s time to have students back in the school!
This transition will not be simple and for our students will be like the First Day of School. With that being said, I want to share with you some of the new changes and expectations to meet this next transition in a safe and rewarding way.
- Arrival is from 7:10 a.m. - 7:30 a.m. The car rider entrance is located on the side of the school. You will turn left on the road before the school and students will exit cars at the covered sidewalk area. Staff will not be able to open car doors.
- Your child is late at 7:31 a.m. You will have to walk your child in the front entrance to get a Tardy Slip.
- Upon entering the building students will go directly to their class.
- All students will be offered a “grab-and-go” breakfast to eat in the classroom.
- Parents are not permitted to walk their child to class. No one is allowed to walk in the building or stand at the front entrance doors. A staff member will ensure your child reports to his or her assigned class.
- Dismissal is at 2:20 p.m. for bus riders. Dismissal is at 2:30 p.m. for car riders.
- Car rider pick-up is located at the back of the school. You will turn left on the road before the school and drive to the back of the building.
- All car riders will be dismissed from the car rider line at the rear of the building.
- You must remain in your car. Do not stand at the entrance doors. Do not request your child as we will not be able to accommodate your request. Car riders will be sitting with their teacher until their name is called via walkie.
- Students in First through Fifth Grade will remain in their classroom until called for dismissal. This will slow down the car rider pick-up process, but will allow the students to be spaced for safety. Please be patient as this is a new procedure.
- All transportation changes must be received in writing and sent to your child’s teacher using DOJO, e-mail, or fax to (803) 353-4035.
- Early dismissal will end at 1:00 p.m. No exceptions will be permitted. You are still required to submit excuses in writing to your child’s teacher by DOJO, e-mail or fax.
- Your child must wear a MASK. If he or she cannot wear a mask, we will provide a face shield to be worn on campus. If your child refuses to keep his or her mask on, you will be contacted to pick him or her up immediately. This will be highly enforced to ensure the safety of all staff and students.
- Your child will have his or her temperature taken every morning. If your child has a fever, you will be contacted immediately to pick up your child. We encourage parents to do self-checks before arriving to school.
- If your child has been exposed to COVID-19 or has a positive result, he or she cannot attend school. Please follow all of the CDC guidelines to quarantine. Our COVID-19 school contact is Rory Washington and she can be reached at (803) 353-2231 or at email@example.com. She will organize how your child will continue to receive his or her work, help with attendance, and answer any of your questions or concerns.
- Hallways are one direction, counterclockwise. This is used to allow better social distancing.
- Water fountains are closed. Students are allowed to bring a sealed water bottle that will be disposed of at the end of the day. Water will also be provided as needed.
- Hand sanitizing stations are located in each classroom.
- Student desks are at least six feet apart and all occupied student desks and tables have plexiglass shields.
- Students are required to keep a six foot distance from peers at all times.
- Students in Second through Fifth Grade will bring their device to school daily. Please charge devices the night before as chargers cannot be shared with others. Students in PK3-First Grade will leave their devices at home for use on days not attending school in person.
- Supplies / materials for school use will be provided for each student’s personal use. Supplies will not be shared between students. Students are asked to not bring any supplies or materials to school other than their charged laptop if in Second through fifth Grade (charger stays home) in a bookbag.
- All students, regardless of Cohort will log in to Teams every morning, Monday-Friday, at 7:45 a.m. for the class Morning Meeting / Lesson.
- Make sure you are on Class DOJO, able to receive Auto Messages from the school and district, and have your child’s teacher’s contact information to include office hours.
Lastly, please find comfort in knowing we are doing everything possible to ensure your child’s safety while at Gadsden Elementary. We are educators and we want our students to see our passion and energy for teaching and learning. We are here to support and serve you. We are ready for the challenges that lie ahead and together we believe we can achieve great things.