Developing Character, Enriching Minds!
AVID stands for Advancement Via Individual Determination.
This year, fourth grade teachers are excited to be implementing AVID Elementary (AE) into their everyday teaching. AE is a foundational component of the AVID College Readiness System and supports AVID’s mission to close the achievement gap by preparing all students for college readiness and success in a global society.
Arden AVID Elementary focuses on fifth grade and is designed to be embedded into the daily instruction of all elementary classrooms across entire grade levels to maintain school-wide structures. The implementation resources, trainings, and philosophy are all grounded in the idea that the growth mindset can be taught to students, and it is through the growth mindset that AVID students succeed in following their dreams and fulfilling their aspirations.
AVID Elementary takes a systemic approach through the use of WICOR (writing, inquiry, collaboration, organization, and reading) and an explicit focus on high expectations, rigor, and developing a college readiness culture.
Arden AVID Essentials:
- Rigorous Instruction in the Classroom
- Focus on Expectations
- Positive, Safe, and Nurturing Learning Environments
- Celebrating our Students
What AVID looks like in the classroom:
- Note taking
- Critical thinking
- Growth mindset
What AVID looks like at home!
- Show interest in your student’s progress.
- Talk to your student about school.
- Be aware of your student's classes and his/her performance in each.
- Praise your student's strengths, and help him/her find ways to improve in areas of weakness.
- Ask to look at your student's binder.
- Be enthusiastic and supportive. Your student's participation in AVID will keep him/her motivated and excited about reaching the goal of attending a four-year college or university.
Components of the AVID environment at Arden Elementary include:
- AVID College Day (faculty/staff)
- College Tours (TBA)
- School-wide Career Fair
- Students of the Week/Month Schoolwide
The “A” in ARDEN stands for AWESOME!