If the list below is overwhelming, start here: My Favorite Resources for eLearning!
Don't forget, DISCUS is for more than research!
Popular DISCUS resources include Magic School Bus and Tumblebooks!
TumbleMath and Tutor.com have just been added to DISCUS!
Tutor.com will supply a free reading tutor for your student.
More Free Resources During our Extended Absence
Virtual Storytimes and Read-Alouds
- Storyline Online - Stories read out loud by some of your favorite celebrities!
- KidLit TV Read Out Loud - Stories read out loud by the authors! Also check out the ready-set-draw videos for fun step-by-step drawing instructions of characters in stories.
- Storytime with Ryan and Craig – Kids love how silly these two are! They use funny voices, expressions, and sometimes made up songs while reading some of today’s most popular books. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCV4Bzgj91AYvbb7BTMz_Alg
- Storytime From Space – books read by real astronauts while in space! https://storytimefromspace.com/library/
- HarperKids Storytime Read Aloud – Collection of book read-alouds, sometimes even by the author themselves!
- Brightly Storytime – Picture books read-alouds for kids of all ages!
- Emily Arrow Musical Storytimes – Emily Arrow writes books into songs and sings them! While schools are closed, she’ll be hosting daily online learning, music, and stories (Monday through Friday)! Tune in at 1PM EST on youtube.com for a lesson to bring music and mindfulness into your home.
- 100+ Free Video Read Alouds
- Vooks – animated books with read-along text – Free to teachers for the first year, parents can register for one month free
- We Are Teachers Storytime
- Draw Everyday with JJK – Author and illustrator Jarrett J. Krosoczka (Lunch Lady graphic novel series) will be hosting free art lesson webcasts on his youtube channel every weekday at 2PM EST for the next few weeks.
- Author/Illustrator Jarrett Lerner has free printable activity sheets, like finish the comic and drawing/writing prompts, to get kids thinking creatively.
- Ben Clanton author of Narwhal and Jellyfish – FB Live! Draw and talk about mermicorns and waffles with author Ben Clanton - March 18 at 2PM EST and March 20 at 5PM EST -
These sessions are for all ages!
Resources for Online Reading/Audiobooks/Podcasts
- Epic – Digital Library of over 35,000 books, learning videos, and quizzes – Educators can create a free account, parents can get the first 30 days free.
- Scholastic Learn at Home – Free resource that provides your children with 20 days of exciting articles and stories, videos, and fun learning challenges. Includes directions to set up your free Bookflix account to access books and readings.
- Pinna – Audio streaming service for kids 3-12 – includes podcasts, audiobooks, and music – parents can now get 2 months for free with code PINNA4KIDS – available online or app
- Unite for Literacy – provides free digital access to picture books narrated in many languages
- Oxford Owl at Home – educational resources and free eBooks to support children’s learning age 3-11 (click on the reading tab and Free eBooks to find the books!)
- Scribd – Audiobook app – great selection of audio books for children and YA’s - get two months free with this link -
Most of the resources students need to be successful at Rhame can be found on our district
Among these resources students will find DISCUS, PBS Kids, and Destiny Discover. Don't forget that DISCUS not only offers excellent research sites, but includes great online books through Tumblebooks, Brain Pop Jr. and The Magic School Bus!
If you're interested in exploring the web's best content for teaching and learning, check out the links below provided by the American Association of School Librarians.