Richland One Teacher of the Year Forum
School-Level Teacher of the Year Selection Program and Protocols - FY 2016-2017
Richland County School District One annually honors excellence in the classroom and provided a forum to showcase many outstanding educators whose efforts and example have inspired their students, their colleagues, and the communities they serve.
Teacher of the Year honors at the school and district levels are the highest recognitions Richland County School District One can bestow upon teachers within the district.
Facilitated by the Department of Strategic Partnerships and Extended-Day Programs, the Teacher of the Year Program annually will recognize and reward teachers who have demonstrated exemplary leadership and excellence in teaching and advocacy for the teaching profession.
Teacher of the Year candidates must be full-time classroom teachers. School librarians and counselors who teach students at least four hours per day also may be nominated for school, district, state and national Teacher of the Year honors. Administrators are not eligible. Candidates who, prior to the selection, accept non-teaching positions (such as in administration or outside a school or district, or in which they teach students for less than four hours each day) are not eligible to advance in the district competition.
Each Teacher of the Year candidate should meet the following baseline criteria:
- Leads and instructs students of all backgrounds
- Collaborates with colleagues, students, and families to create a culture of respect and success
- Deliberately connects their classroom to the community and the community to the classroom
- Engages in leadership opportunities that contribute to the work of the profession
- Expresses themselves in a poised and articulate way
- Advocates for the teaching profession
- Experiments with technology or emerging technologies to enhance instructional delivery
Every Richland One school should hold an election and select one Teacher of the Year for the 2017 competition year. School-level Teachers of the Year will progress to the district Teacher of the Year competition.