C. A. Johnson High School
The athletic program is designed to accommodate students who have the ability and emotional stability to handle competition. Students are not obligated to take part in athletics, nor is it required for graduation. It should be stressed that being a member of an athletic team is a privilege and not a right.
We all want an athletic program that will be a compliment to the Richland One School District and we ask that you work hard to make this a reality.
Interim Athletic Director
C.A. Johnson High School
2219 Barhamville Road
Columbia, S.C. 29204
Samuel D. Witherspoon
Flying High above all others
Winning is for a day - sportsmanship is for a lifetime."
The mission of the C. A. Johnson High School’s Athletic Department is to provide an athletic program that helps develop the whole person through education and competition, to stimulate a lasting attitude of discipline, sportsmanship, integrity, leadership, and social responsibility, and to make the athletic program an enduring source of pride for the student population, student-athletes, alumni, and community.
The mission of the athletics program ultimately is to engage the mind, to elevate the spirit, and stimulate the best effort of all who are associated with the athletic program.
The vision of the C. A. Johnson High School Athletic Department is to provide student-athletes an environment that promotes and supports academic, athletic and personal achievement, to field athletic teams to perform at competitive levels in conference competition, to utilize highly qualified coaches, dedicated support staff, and administrative personnel, to help individuals become better students, athletes, and citizens, and to prepare student-athletes to make transitions to the next level of participation academically and athletically.
…To be a model program excelling in academics and athletics…
- To provide opportunities for participation in a wide variety of sports and life-long recreational activities.
- To provide opportunities for high levels of skill development and competitive success.
- To provide facilities and equipment that meets the health and safety codes and standards for all participants.
- To provide quality coaches who are excellent and who have positive influence on students.
- To foster a spirit of sportsmanship, teamwork, and fair play among all participants and spectators.
- To operate an athletic program that is based on sound educational principles and is an integral part of the total curriculum.
- To develop collaborative efforts which are mutually beneficial to the school and the community.