Round One applications for the 2024-2025 school year will be accepted from December 11 - Jan 31 for all programs. Scroll down to see the list of programs and contacts below.
Do not apply for Pre-K programs here. Contact the Office of School Readiness at (803) 799-9494 for information regarding applying for Pre-K programs. For questions or information regarding Montessori programs, call the schools directly.
Richland One’s outstanding magnet programs offer unique learning experiences for students in pre-kindergarten through 12th grade. Richland One’s diverse magnet programs include Montessori Programs, Career Magnets, BLAST Aerospace Programs, BLAST National Defense Program, Language Immersion Program, Medical Magnet Academy, Health Sciences Magnet, Richland One Middle College and the Virtual School Programs for grades K-5 and 6-12.
Richland One students are assigned to schools according to where they live. They may apply to a magnet program within the district through the choice program. All students who live in Richland One’s attendance zone are eligible for admission to our magnet programs, unless the program is designated as one that is zoned for certain attendance areas.
Admission is based on successful completion of the application process, which may include attending an information session, meeting qualifying criteria and completing an application. Upon acceptance, students must transfer to the school chosen through the Registrar’s Office. Transportation is provided for district career and language immersion magnet programs, the Montessori elementary zoned programs and the Montessori middle school program. For all other choice programs, students must provide their own transportation. Applications must be submitted through the Novus Choice portal. Some programs select participants using a computerized random selection process (lottery) when there are more students and families interested in a particular magnet program than there are slots available. For Round Two, families will be notified by March 4, 2024 if they are selected for their magnet program of choice.
SCROLL DOWN TO SEE A LISTING OF PROGRAMS THAT ARE ACCEPTING APPLICATIONS
Please contact the program administrators listed below for questions regarding a specific program.
BLAST- Aerospace Magnet and National Defense Magnet Programs: Watkins-Nance Elementary, W.A. Perry Middle, Columbia High School
Dr. Teresa Turner
Career Awareness Magnet at Bradley Elementary School
Kezia Myers- Principal
Career Development Magnet at W.G. Sanders Middle School
Career Preparation Magnet at W.J. Keenan High School
Language Immersion Magnet at Carver-Lyon Elementary School
Dr. Monica Adams- Principal
**For questions regarding accessing the application portal (Novus Choice) or technical support, contact Dr. Erica Fields at (803) 231-6799.
Important Magnet Program Dates to Remember
Round One Application Period:
- Opens: Monday, December 11, 2023 @ 2:00 PM
- Closes: Wednesday, January 31, 2024 @ 2:00 PM
- Parent Interest Meetings: January 10 and January 20
- Lottery Held: Week of February 20
- Parent Notification: March 4, 2024
- Acceptance Responses Due: March 11, 2024
Programs Accepting Applications:
- Career Awareness Magnet Program at Bradley Elementary
- Language Immersion Program at Carver-Lyon Elementary
- BLAST/Aerospace Program at Watkins-Nance Elementary
- Virtual School Program (K-5)
- Career Exploration Magnet Program at W.G. Sanders Middle School
- BLAST/Aerospace Program at W.A. Perry Middle School
- Medical Magnet Academy at W.A. Perry Middle School
- Montessori Middle Level Program at W.G. Sanders Middle School--6TH GRADE ONLY
- Career Preparation Magnet Program at W.J. Keenan high School
- Health Sciences Magnet at C.A. Johnson High School
- Richland One Middle College
- BLAST/National Defense Program at Columbia High School
- Virtual School Program (Grades 6-12)