- Explain to your child, his or her relationship to others in the global community
- Discuss with your child the differences in places and cultures during specific timeframes of history
- Identify and explain the relationships among multiple causes and multiple effects
- Evaluate multiple points of view or biases that may exist because of influences of individual life experiences societal values, and cultural traditions
- Find time to discuss current events and historical event
- Make social studies a part of daily life.
- Talk about participatory citizenship of individuals in relationship to the state, the nation and international communities.
Flocabulary is a library of songs, videos and activities for K-12 online learning. Flocabulary is a learning program that uses educational hip hop music to engage students and reinforce core knowledge and skills.
Discovery Education is online streaming that includes content-specific and standards based videos, interactive activities, reading passages, skill builders and writing prompts that engage students and extend critical thinking. Students can log in using the same username and password that they log into school computers with to gain access at school or at home.
Students can log in to access Newsela content which includes, standards-aligned reading activities, primary source documents, science content, and biography content currated from popular news sources and adapted for students to read and understand.
Discus – South Carolina’s Virtual Library is the “information place” for all South Carolinians. Discus, which stands for Digital Information for South Carolina Users, provides free access to an electronic library that’s available 24/7. Discus is a collection of subscription databases with an array of resources ranging from books and magazines to maps and videos. This collection of databases provides high-quality publications in an easy to navigate format for students. Discus allows students to safely search for up-to-date information without sifting through advertisements and non-educational results found in search engines such as Google.
Teachingbooks.net is an online database of thousands of multimedia resources students can use to explore young adults books and authors.
Parent Friendly Standards for Social Studies:
Includes information about the standards, learning at home activities, and additional information.