The Department of Secondary Education provides leadership in establishing a comprehensive system that supports district and school personnel in implementing the district's curricular and instructional intitiatives.
- Organize and support district level curriculum by providing information and tools that support the delivery of expected instructional practices.
- Increase use of effective strategies and techniques for assessing student progress towards meeting standards.
- Work collaboratively with other departments to establish systems for training and supporting teachers as they work to implement the district's curriculum.
Primary Support Services:
- Communicate standards and expectations for teaching and learning
- Provide tools, information, training and support that increase teacher knowledge and understanding of content
- Support schools in assuring vertical articulation of standards
- Identify, recommend and/or develop instructional resources that promote the achievement of academic standards
- Maintain a comprehensive computer-based system for monitoring and measuring student progress towards meeting standards
- Support schools in identifying and using effective practices for monitoring and assessing student progress
- Provide schools with support and direction in utilizing effective intervention, academic assistance and enrichment strategies