AVID (Advancement Via Individual Determination)
Rising 6th, 7th, and 8th-grade students start or continue college and career experience while in middle school. Interested students can complete an application by paper or online.Please answer each question completely! Review the application in its entirety prior to completing. You will not be able to save and start the application at a later time. Question #24 on the application is a writing assignment and may require time to complete.forms.office.com
What the AVID College Readiness System is:
- AVID is an acronym that stands for Advancement Via Individual Deterrmination
- the ACRS is an acacemic system for grades K-16 that prepares all students for college and career eligibility and success that is implemented school-wide and district-wide
- the AVIS elective is an in-school academic support system that targets those in the academic middle.
What the AVID Elective is not:
- a remedial program
- a free ride
- a school within a school
- a quick fix
- an affirmative action program
Who is an AVID Elective Student?
AVID elective students are students in the academic middle, capable of completing a college preparatory path with support. These students often are not realizing their potential academically. In the identification process a number of criteria are considered, including:
- State Test Scores
- Desire and Determination
- First in Family to Attend College
- HistoricallyUnderrepresented in 4-year Colleges
- Economically Disadvantaged
- Other Special Circumstances
While all of the criteria are considered for acceptance into the elective, no single criteria will necessarily eliminate a student from consideration. The AVID elective should reflect the demographics of the school it is serving. Students participating in special education, gifted and talented programs and ELL will be considered for the AVID elective based on the criteria listed above. Currently, there are a number of students from these groups successfully participating in the AVID elective.
Once selected for the AVID elective, what are the student requirements?
AVID elective students must sign a contract and commit to the following:
- attend an AVID elective class
- enroll one of more advanced academic classes (Pre-AP or AP at the High School level and honors classes at the Middle School level) each semester
- maintain satisfactory citizernship and attendanc in all classes
- maintain the AVID binder with assignment/grade record sheets and daily notes in all classes
- complete all homeworkassignments and commit to studying every night