What are School Counselors?
School Counselors are a type of helper in your school. We help kids with things like problem solving, understanding feelings, and making friends!
What do School Counselors do?
School counselors typically do the following:
- Help students understand and overcome social or behavioral problems through individual and group counseling
- Provide individual and small group counseling based on student needs
- Work with students to develop skills such as organization, time management, and effective study habits
- Help students set realistic academic and career goals and develop a plan to achieve them
- Evaluate students’ abilities and interests through aptitude assessments and interviews
- Develop strategies with teachers, administrators, and parents to help students succeed
- Teach classes on topics such as bullying, drug abuse, and planning for college or careers after graduation
- Identify and report possible cases of neglect or abuse
- Refer students and parents to resources outside the school for additional support
Who are School Counselors for?
Your School Counselor is here for EVERYONE! I am here for every student, every teacher, and every parent who is part of the Gadsden Elementary School community.