• Educational Rights Process

    Anyone who has a school-aged student in their physical care and is NOT the custodial parent of a student must qualify for educational rights to enroll the student. To qualify for educational rights in Richland One, you must be able to prove at least one of the following:

    • Custody by court order
      • Out of state court orders must be filed with the Richland County Judicial Center located at 1701 Main Street, Columbia 29201. The SC stamped copy will be acceptable for this process.
    • Placement by foster care
    • Placement by DSS for any reason other than foster care

    When none of the previously stated reasons apply, the guardian will be provided with a SC State Statute Affidavit.  This affidavit is in accordance with the SC Code of Laws; Title 59, Chapter 63, Section 31.  The alphabetized circumstances on the affidavit are reasons the state of SC will allow the person who has physical care of a school-aged student to enroll.  When none of the reasons listed on the affidavit do not apply to the circumstance of the custodial parent, a court order must be provided to prove custody.

    The following are the circumstances listed on the State Statute affidavit. Proof of circumstances may be required:

      • The death, serious illness, or incarceration of a parent or legal guardian
      • the relinquishment by a parent or legal guardian of the complete control of the child as evidence by the failure to provide substantial financial support and parental guidance
      • the abuse or neglect by a parent or legal guardian
      • the physical or mental condition of the parent or legal guardian is such that he/she cannot provide adequate care and supervision of the child
      • the child's parent or legal guardian does not have a fixed, regular and adequate nighttime residence or has a nighttime residence that is a shelter or institution that provides temporary living accommodations
      • the parent's or legal guardian's military deployment or call to active duty more than seventy miles from his residence for a period greater than sixty days; provided, however, that if the child's parent or legal guardian returns from such military deployment or active duty prior to the end of the school year, the child may finish that school year in the school he attends without charge even if the child resides in another school district for the remainder of the school year due to his parent or legal guardian returning home

    Note: The affidavit must be completed and notarized before uploading.

    Completing the educational rights request does NOT guarantee educational rights will be granted.  The granting of educational rights, often times, requires that a student withdraw and enroll in a different school; however, the educational rights process is not a means to obtain a transfer to a preferred school.  If it is proven that this process was used to obtain enrollment into a specific school, the educational rights will be immediately rescinded and the custodial parent will be required to enroll the student into his or her zoned school.

    Documentation required to complete the educational rights process:

    • Completed online request form (Please select educational rights as the application type)
    • Government issued photo ID for guardian (No work IDs)
    • Student's birth certificate
    • Proof of custody or guardianship (Either of the items listed above)