Logan Leopards welcome our volunteers!
Tips for volunteers and mentors:
TIPS FOR VOLUNTEERS
- Talk to the teacher before the first session.
- Gain the student's trust.
- Be yourself.
- Never make a promise that you can't follow through or practice.
- Do not talk about the student's home life, unless the student initiates the conversation.
- If the student has other problems, refer the student to the school's psychologists, guidance counselors, etc.
- Be a careful listener.
- Try not to interrupt the student when he/she is talking.
- Call the school beforehand if you are going to miss a session.
- You are a role model; dress and act appropriately.
- Seek help or ask for a change if there is an unhappy situation.
- Do not criticize the school.
- Be patient.
- Let the student make decisions about your work together.
- Praise honest efforts made by the student.
- A mentor is a caring adult who is willing to be a good listener and non-judgmental friend to a student who can benefit from guidance and individual attention. A mentor is a companion, role model, advocate, motivator, resource, guide and helper. Mentors are required to give a minimum time commitment of one hour a week.
More importantly, a mentor is NOT a parent, a social worker, psychiatrist, a judge or a Santa Claus.
All person interesting in volunteering will need to fill out a volunteer application before they can volunteer in the school. The background check takes about 3-4 weeks, you will be notified by email and then we can schedule a meeting in the school for a short orientation session. If you have any questions please feel free to call me at 343-2915.
Shelia E. Washington, Volunteer Coordinator